1. Welcome to the new Sprint Forum. Please be sure to read the "Welcome to the new forum" thread in General Spouting. This contains some important information. I hope you enjoy the new site. Steve (The Gremlin) Just so you are aware the new URL for this site is: sprint.bikersoracle.com
    Dismiss Notice

Accoutrements Francais

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mad_Dog, Jul 20, 2017.

  1. Mad_Dog

    Mad_Dog Well-Known Member

    OK Chaps, looks like I need to buy a couple of Hi Viz vests, a couple of breathalysers and a set of Sprint ST replacement bulbs. Anyone have any links to Mr Cheap'nCheerful?
  2. njr58

    njr58 Well-Known Member

    You dont need bulbs, its only illegal to ride with a bulb blown, the other thing is if you wear glasses for riding you need to carry a spare pair and you also need to take your docs, v5, mot, and insurance cert.
  3. You need spare bulbs and hi viz vest in France.
  4. BTW, you don't need breathalysers if your on a bike.
  5. Edders

    Edders Well-Known Member

    Agree with Nick, and LMS, I take the docs and a Hi-vis and also a selection of fuses and bulbs; pick them up from the garage shelf each time but not sure if they even fit the Sprint :oops:

    BTW A good point well made is that it is also an offence to drive with a bulb blown in the UK
  6. SteveT

    SteveT Retired Hooker

    I keep a set of spare bulbs in the glove box thingy all the time. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do if there's anything wrong with the LED tail light!o_O
  7. Dusty ST

    Dusty ST Member

    Mad_Dog, barbieboy and Edders like this.
  8. barbieboy

    barbieboy Fragmen Alienus Via Lex

    See you say, a useful guide, not only to what is (currently) required but also as to how mad some of the French laws are. (It also seems that the authorities acknowledge this and act accordingly, although I wouldn't rely on it !)
  9. count von count

    count von count * Reg. No. FOR SALE!!!

    Just back from a trip to That France. I carried on or about the bike:

    Spare bulbs. Not sure whether any of them fit my VFR but they certainly look like a wee bag of auto bulbs if anyone came looking. No headlight bulbs though as they're LED.
    Copy of v5 and insurance cert. Forgot to take a copy of MOT.
    Hi viz under seat, I carry that anyway, not a special kit addition for France.
    Plastic driving licence, didn't bother with paper bit. Used passport to get in, but didn't carry it around.
    I bought a Scala Rider headset to get wireless sound from my Garmin, whereas I used to use wired earphones connected to the sat nag.

    We saw a few gendarmes but none were interested in bothering us. Obeyed 50 kph limits in towns & villages but otherwise rode quite, ahem, spiritedly.

    The change in traffic and people density as you go from uk to France is startling.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    njr58, SmudgerSmith22 and Mad_Dog like this.
  10. Mad_Dog

    Mad_Dog Well-Known Member

    So how dense are the French?!

  11. SmudgerSmith22

    SmudgerSmith22 Active Member

    As I've said on previous posts, I've been to France on my bikes reularly for over 10 years now and have never had a problem. As Fitz said, stick to speed limits in villages, towns and cities and the Gendarmes don't bother looking at you. I carry all the gumph and have never been asked for anything but guess the time I don't is when I will.
    I love the lack of traffic, decent road surfaces and friendly locals so will keep going back for as long as I can, starting next month with the Normandy trip. :cool:
    count von count and njr58 like this.
  12. PhilBuck

    PhilBuck Member

    I've just ridden up through northern Spain and France and the bike cops over there just waved at us..............................apart from the one who stopped one of our party and relieved him of 100 Euros for overtaking on the approach to a tunnel! Thank god we weren't in Switzerland, where the fines go into thousands of Euros at the drop of a hat !!!!

Share This Page